Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Hot Messe!

I've been on a "Sacred" music kick lately. Maybe it's Eschatological.

I really like John Eliot Gardiner's recording of Bach's Mass in B minor. I'm wondering if I should be satisfied with it?

I'm hardly an expert on Fauré (and French music in general) but Herreweghe's reading of the Requiem is superb, and I'm thinking about laying down the big bucks for his Matthäuspassion. Even though I couldn't live without my Furtwängler, it's incomplete and with less-than-decent mono sound. Actually I wouldn't mind having all of Bernstein's, even though it's in English; Donaldson Bell's rendition of "Make Thee Clean" still moves me to tears and beyond.

In both cases: what about Klemperer?

Bernstein seems to be a controversial top choice for Mozart's C Minor, and while I don't hate it, I'm eager to hear Gardiner's. Get this: since it's on period instruments, the tuning is different (baroque A 415 vs. modern A 440). By our standards, C minor was actually B minor. Amazing!

I'm fine with my Klemperer/Schwarzkopf/Fischer-Dieskau Brahms, but (of course) I'd like to hear the Kempe/Grümmer (also with Fidi). Recommendations?

No comments: